Sunday, December 28, 2008

Just when you think things couldn't get worse...

I got two nice steamers for Christmas this year...

A wonderfuly beautiful Con-Cor 2-10-2 USRA, and an equally appealing Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0

The Consolidation has some damage, was obviously used and returned, and my wife paid full pop for it for Christmas... so naturally a lil pissed off. Oh well, the shop says they will replace it for me. Anyways... I proceeded to install my DZ123 decoder from my shelf... when stripping the wires, they all popped off the decoder! how wonderful! I can't even find a pinout... I decided I should probably test the lil bugger before tearing it apart on my workbench... yup, don't run. Fuck.


The 2-10-2 is a similar story of pain and suffering. This one came via Ebay thanks to ma & pa, so I really have no idea what recourse I have. It was a sealed loco though... very pretty. I painted it right away, slopping on the grimy black paint over the light blue gray of the Pennsy naming it had before. I then...without testing it first... installed a Soundtraxx Tusnami decoder. Thing sounds brilliant! Too bad it don't freakin run!

So I spent a good 4 hours troubleshooting it and getting it hooked up to run properly... finally with many wires running that were not there before... I got it running for 20 minutes on my test oval.... Then...and this is where it gets good... I hear chugging from the decoder, but I don't hear it moving! WTF?! The MOTOR FUCKING SIEZED!

I'm about ready to go sell it all and play with airplanes...

No comments: