Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Layout planning


Well this is my fist real layout that I've ever done, so there was a lot to learn. In fact this is probably the tenth revision I made until I actually started building.

This is kind of an 'up until now' post that explains how I came up with the plan and whats been done up till now.

The original layout was based upon layout n-11017 but with a few extra sidings and then a loop off to the side that goes up to a raised area where I built up my turntable area with an extra couple of sidings. This was going to be my engine facility, but I really don't have enough room to build more than a roundhouse here.

I built that layout and came across numerous issues. For starters I had quite a few 9-1/4" radius curve track pieces in place, with the main line having two large curves containing nothing but. While my locomotives consist mainly of larger steam when I built the layout (lt. mountain and a Challenger) the 9-1/4" radius curves are just to small. Secondly I had some pretty warped track, and nothing was glued down, just tacked in with nails. So I tore up all but the majority of the main line.

I then turned around and developed another track plan that gave a bit more interesting and prototypical operations. It also allowed me to do a fresh restart with new track and roadbed.

During construction it evolved to the track plan shown in this posting.

Now my motive power could all but navigate the main line with ease (seeing as how I don't got much of the yard built at the moment, its all main line!) however there are two hicups on the main line runs.

Heading eastbound the Challenger seems to jump track as it comes off the bridge that leads to the lower east wing of the layout (by the roundhouse). So now I try to only run it to the west. However westbound traffic likes to jump track on the turnout that heads north, only when the turnout is switched to send the train off to the right instead of on the more northern track. Something is out of gauge there I'm guessing because even rolling stock and my Mikado are having issues there.

The plan itself was inspired from two specific sources. The first being the layout mentioned above, the second was from an article in a Model Railroading magazine article. It mentioned that some HO industries can be so large that they can take up a whole module. Sure enough even in N-scale the 'brewery' industry that was listed there still takes up an incredible amount of room. The trackage for the brewery can be seen in the center area. I'm still going to be using a brewery style industry, but it is going to be a smaller facility with other industry present.

No comments: